Friday 9 September 2011

An evening living Kenyan culture and a surprise visit


This morning, I got a fright going into the kitchen, as there were two cats fighting in there! I'm such a scaredy cat. I have no idea how they got there?!! I think they were just as scared as me as they ran into Mira’s old bedroom. Thinking about it, it might not be such a bad thing having the cats in the house, they might resolve my furry friend problem! I got a lift from my landlady into work and told her about the cats. She was on the phone immediately to the house-girls to get rid of them as they were strays...oh well, so much for the mouse trap idea.

At the training on Monday, one of the nurses asked if they could have my hand written notes from the classes, so I've spent the day writing them up. I went out for lunch to shop for presents as I’ve been invited round to Evelyn’s tonight, and then spending the day with Judy tomorrow. I’m wondering what I should take with me to say thank you?

My colleague got some exciting news this morning. I’d reviewed an abstract of hers last month, which she'd sent off for presentation at a conference over in Montreal, which had been accepted. The only problem is, she cannot fund herself to go over. She was asking me about sponsorship. I've got no idea how people go about getting sponsorship here? That said, back home either? I emailed GSK to see if they would be able to sponsor her, but unfortunately they only provide funding for organisations, rather than individuals. I’m not sure how I can help her?

My colleagues were discussing salaries in the office, and the poverty in Kenya. I discovered that one of the office girls pays 2000 KS per month (approx. 14 GBP) for her accommodation, (which includes an outside toilet and washing facilities). After she’s paid her rent money, she doesn’t have enough left from her wage to take transport into the university, and has to walk 1.5hrs to and from work each day. How is this fair? Ergh, I know we complain at home, but this really puts things into perspective.

I was invited back to Evelyn's compound tonight. She owns chickens, which were clucking around outside. 


We sat outside and watched the cooks and house-girls cooking on a jiko (a stove heated with charcoal.).


I still find the concept of cooks and house-girls difficult. I remember it was the same when I was in India. It was quite a natural thing to have a cleaner, and someone to iron for you. I felt guilty asking someone else to do it, but I guess at the same time, it creates employment. I also saw how the maize was ground in order to make ugali. We took the maize to a man, who first shakes it in a tray with netting to remove the husks:




  It is then passed through a machine with a huge funnel at the top to grind it down.

Evelyn taught me to make chapatis and ugali. 
 


I can't wait to try this out myself :) I later learnt that her son, Emmanuel, has been bouncing the basketball ever since I left (my present to him), and takes it to bed with him...hmmm, I bet it drives his family up the wall though. I found it funny because Naiomi, Evelyn's daughter asked me if my hair was real??!! I guess because weaves are quite common here (where they sew human hair onto their original hair.)

All the food was amazing. We had sukuma wiki (kale), kunde (a green, leafy vegetable, a bit like spinach), yam (a root vegetable) and obviously chapati's and ugali (the staple Kenyan food).
 
We finished the evening with a blessing. I was feeling a little awkward during this devotion, as it was the first time I'd been to anything like this. The family prayed for me in Kenya. Then Evelyn asked the family to thank God for something during the week. I wasn't sure what was appropriate, but I thanked God for a lovely evening with them, and having the opportunity to meet them all.It was so nice (although a bit embarrassing) when Dotty (their house girl) thanked God for bringing me into their family.
 



Douglas, the taxi driver drove me home, and all the lights were on in my house...oh oh, perhaps there's a power cut at my land ladies house and her kids have come over again uninvited, but no, it turned out I have a new house mate, Grace, from Tanzania! I'm so happy to have some company in the house. She's a student doing a phD in business management. She’s a bit older than me, and has a family back in Tanzania.

No comments:

Post a Comment