Thursday 22 September 2011

Busia to Kisumu

The meeting was a little rushed this morning, as the Professor had a flight to catch to Nairobi, and had to leave at midday. We still had time for an African sing song though. The cluster coordinators, like yesterday, were extremely positive about the project, and had many similar experiences. I took the Acacia bus from Busia to Kisumu, which was an experience in itself. My colleagues were explaining it's  a more reliable way of travelling to Kisumu, since it's direct, and sometimes with the matatu's, they stop off en-route, and wait to fill up, so you never know how long the journey will take. Luckily, my colleagues explained this was a better way to travel, rather than the matatu, as matatu's can stop mid-route, if they are not full of people, and wait until they have filled. I really feel looked after by my colleagues, which I really appreciate. Kevin spoke to the conductor asking him how long it'll take (2.5hrs), and how much (280KS = approx 2 GBP). He said he'd expect a text from me once I'd arrived safely in Kisumu. The bus was crowded, and above my head, there were sacks, full of maize, and everytime there was a jolt, I got covered in dust from the maize!! I took a tuk-tuk from the petrol station to the OGRA foundation when I arrived in Kisumu. It's great. All the 6 PULSE volunteers all live so close to one another. I stayed with Yannik and Nora, and had my own bedroom. We went to the Green Garden restaurant for food. There were people visiting from Direct Relief International in Santa Barba. Mike Marx was also there (a consultant for OGRA foundation). I was whacked at the end of the evening from all the travelling, and crashed out pretty much after dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment