Friday 30 September 2011

UK, here I come and two new flatmates!

This day has finally arrived. I finished writing up notes from the stats classes and got them emailed out. I left at 1pm, not being able to control the excitement. I met my two new housemates (2 Swedish student nurses) when I arrived home. I tried to tell them everything that would’ve been useful if someone had told me when I first arrived in Eldoret, including the good places to eat, not to use ATMs on Mondays, where there’s a nice swimming pool, African time etc. They were meeting one of the Kenyan nursing students for lunch, who was very late. I had warned them about African time :)

Chris, the taxi driver, dropped me at the Eldoret airport. Grace (my housemate) uses him, as he’s the driver for one of her class mates. He doesn’t charge Muzungu prices – I like this guy!
When I arrived in Nairobi, I bumped into the other PULSE volunteers from Kisumu. I remember they mentioned about spending this weekend in Nairobi, but I thought my flight times were out of sync with theirs, so it’s nice I could chat to them (even though it was brief). Turns out poor Emma (Damian’s friend) hasn’t been well, and had to delay her flight. She was so sick, she couldn’t fly home yesterday. It’s such a shame that she got so sick over here, and was only over for a week. Here’s hoping she’ll get better soon!
Crazy queues at Nairobi airport! Took me ages to get through customs, plus the “queuing” system didn’t apply for many people flying...ergh! Was great just having hand luggage on the flight though. Saves so much time checking in.

No comments:

Post a Comment