Tuesday 20 September 2011

Prof is made Principal

Running late this morning. I had two missed calls from Betsy on my phone, and then Judy called. My colleagues were all worried about me. I was really touched by that. Evelyn said she was even going to call the police if I hadn’t showed up by 10am! I heard from my mum that Rainbows is still continuing. Sounds like everyone is doing a great job without me. I will be redundant on my return to the UK! Apparently, the mums have been asking for me - I think they are missing me more than the Rainbows!

Professor Esamai is being made Principal of the Collage of Health Sciences today, and so we went to watch his ceremony. The Deans of the University were all present, and the chief administrator for the University too. There was a blessing to start the ceremony, and a prayer to bring the ceremony to a close, which is a little different to how meetings are run back home. After each speech was made, the speaker was thanked, and we had to clap 5 times, within an interval of 3 claps while we counted “moja, mbili, tatu, nne, tano” (= 1 to 5 in Swahili), this came from their Former President, President Moi. The ribbon was cut on the Professor’s chair, and he was given a certificate. The School of Medicine, Public Health, and Dentistry were all present. 
Prof

Gospel Choir


My colleagues all ate lunch with their hands, whilst I tried with a knife and fork, although struggled with the bones on my fish. One of my colleagues commented on how I had no idea on how to eat fish. I tried with my hands, but unfortunately, didn’t make better progress! I just seemed to make a mess! Ergh, just something else to make me feel different.

Another of my colleagues asked for the training slides when we got back to the office, so I was happy to send them on. It’s positive that my colleagues are showing such an interest in the slides, and training sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment