Saturday 20 August 2011

Washing babies!

This morning at the Sally Test Paediatric centre, I helped wash the babies (my first experience ever, which the girls all found amusing!), since Rebecca was by herself. Charlotte* was sick this morning. It made me so sad to see her just sleeping all the time. When Rebecca washed her, she sleepily opened her eyes, and had that cute smile on her face, but it didn't last for long, as she fell straight back to sleep again. The doctor had been to see her and prescribed medication. They put cooking oil on the babies after washing them (since this doesn't contain petroleum). I'm not sure exactly why they put oil on them? A 13yr old was there today holding a baby. It later transpired that the baby was her own! She was there to learn how to take care of it herself. The baby was so tiny.  I just felt that she was so young to take on something like this, I mean at 13, you're still a child yourself. I don't know the circumstances, but I guess it's not uncommon for this to happen here. The nursery nurses were all talking Swahili, and I couldn't understand what they were saying, so felt a bit excluded from the conversation. I'm hoping if I keep going with my Swahili, I'll be able to join in soon :) It was such a nice afternoon, I sat in the garden, and read, then caught up with friends and family back home on Skype which was nice.
*I’ve changed the names in this posting

No comments:

Post a Comment