Friday 19 August 2011

A Strange Dream...

According to Janet*, there had been a comedy element to the gathering at the mortuary yesterday. Eighteen children had turned up and 3 wives. Each of the different wives didn't know about each other! The third wife was wailing, not just because she was grieving, but because she thought she'd get all his possessions. It looks like they will go to the first wife though. Since he was a road traffic officer, it seems that he’d been busy, and had different children coming from all the different stations that he’d been based!  
Colleta took me out at lunchtime to the dressmakers in town, since Betsy has invited me to her friend's wedding next weekend. Sometimes, I feel a million miles from home, but today, home felt closer than it had ever done in the past 2 months I've been here. 

I found some material for a kitenge (an African skirt and top). In order to choose the design of the kitenge, I was shown a book of big, busty curvy African women, modelling dresses, skirts and tops. This was very different to the size 0 models back home. I'm to go back next Thursday for a fitting. I can't believe how quickly she can make it for me. This afternoon I read through ICH E9 in preparation for the training on Monday.
I had a strange dream tonight. I was at Nairobi airport on my way back to the UK, half way through my assignment, but the passport officials said there was a problem with my passport. He kept it aside along with a bunch of other passports. He called me and the other travellers over and said we needed to go to another terminal, and to follow him. I was sure he hadn't picked up my passport, but he assured me he had. After we reached the terminal lounge, he told me he didn't have my passport, and I'd need to go back to find it. I got back to the original location, and spent ages searching for it, but couldn't find it, and started to panic. I re-traced my footsteps to find the official, but completely lost everybody. I didn't even have the official’s name. I was asking at the bar how I get to this terminal, but people either didn't know, or didn't speak English. I was in a state of panic. I managed to wake myself out of the dream, and the first thing I did was check my passport :)
*The names have been changed in this posting

2 comments:

  1. A strange dream indeed, I'm no expert in such matters and have little time for psychobabble. Suffice to say you're going nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Camp David! I thought we'd already established that before I left for Kenya :)

    ReplyDelete