Wednesday 17 August 2011

First trip to the field


Went out with Judy to the field (our trip on Monday had to be cancelled, since the driver was needed for another field trip). I'm getting used to a change in plan at the last minute. First stop was Mumias (about a 2.5hr drive from Eldoret), which is one of the clusters for the EmONC (Emergency Obstetric Neonatal Care) program which aims to reduce the preventable causes of maternal, fetal and early neonatal mortality and morbidity and increase existing resources for their prevention in the community.

Judy was visiting the site to check in with the investigator to help with any problems in completing the questionnaires. Women were being recruited into the study at greater than 20weeks gestation. The questionnaires record information about the mothers current pregnancy and health, and any previous pregnancies. There was a complication with a 17yr old girl, whose due date was 1st July 2011, however, when the investigator visited her at the end of July, she was still pregnant. She explained that she'd lost the baby January time, and had conceived straight after. The investigator wasn't sure about the truth in this, however, Judy explained that in the period just post miscarrying, you are most fertile, so it was feasible. The site wasn't sure whether to start a new subject number for this girl and close the other form, or the change the dates on the other form. Judy explained before doing anything, we needed to get the dates confirmed to ensure that she is >20weeks with the new child. I had the opportunity to see round the hospital. It was sad as whilst I was there, a small baby was brought in, and being treated for severe burns. The hospital staff explained the most common condition was malaria. I saw the male and female wards, which were small, and cramped with drips everywhere. I was taken to the delivery rooms, which were again overcrowded with mothers. There was a family planning clinic where the community health worker was giving a prep talk to the mothers/pregnant women, which I was impressed by. 
Family planning at Mumias


I was taken to the labs, which were basic, and then on to see the queue of mothers outside waiting to have their babies weighed.
 
Babies being weighted at Mumias


We drove to Makunga, another site. There were no problems here. I was again given a tour around the hospital. Ros, the head nurse was treating a distressed baby for malaria whilst I was there. It was being given a quinine infusion. Again, the hospital was basic, overcrowded, and no privacy for the patients. I felt awkward being taken into the lab, where they were drawing blood from patients. I imagined how I'd feel if I was the patient, and having people gaping at me, like I was a museum exhibit. I wouldn't like it, however, the investigator was very keen to show me around.

 
Myself and the head nurse, Ros at Makunga

On the drive back, we passed through Kakamega forest. I hope I get a chance to come back. I was snapping away at all the baboons, although a little anxious one might jump in when I wound the window to take the photo!

Baboon with sugar cane


Judy explained on the drive home that sepsis is a common condition in newborns. It results mainly from poor hygiene. Apparently in the villages, they believe that putting cow dung or soil on the cut umbilical cord is a good healing agent. Sadly, this results in infection, and finally death. She mentioned that the government is trying to discourage TBAs (Traditional Birth Attendants) because it would rather mothers go into the hospital, than give birth at home. Also, TBAs don't always have professional training.

 
I had a call with Manu from GSK tonight at 5pm. I felt a little awkward talking freely and honestly as two of my colleagues were in the room with me, however, it's difficult to find a free room most of the time. When she asked me what experiences I would bring back to GSK with me, I struggled to answer this question. The work I am doing at the moment (although statistics), is completely different to the work I do back at home. Perhaps I need to start thinking outside the box, in terms of the environment, rather than the work itself. She'd met with Andrew Witty, just in the previous week to our call, who had said that he hoped that volunteers would return to GSK reinvigorated, revitalised, thinking creatively and outside the box. I'd like to think that this will be how I'm be feeling in 6months time when I return to GSK. I had to leave the office at 5.40pm to get to my Swahili lesson tonight. Heard from Mike today – he didn't make it to the summit of Mt Kenya, he got altitude sickness at 4 300m and had to descend :( I'm having second thoughts about attempting the climb myself now!

Buda-buda (Motorbike)

Photos of the drive through the villages coming back from Mumias
Picture of the villages on the drive back from Mumias






1 comment:

  1. I'm not in favour of this modern trend for using jargonbabble. I trust you will indeed be 'reinvigorated, revitalised, thinking creatively and outside of of the box' upon your return. Only problem is finding this metaphorical box to be outside of of.

    Best stop feeding those baboons sweeties, you don't want one of those with ADHD.

    ReplyDelete