Tuesday 23 August 2011

Hakuna Matata!

We had a Global Network meeting to discuss the EmONC project, the agenda for the next investigators meeting was discussed, and data issues were also given consideration. After the meeting, I began importing the pre-and post questionnaires into SAS datasets. I met with the Professor to discuss the variables that he was most interested in analysing. When I asked when the work needed to be completed by, I said afterwards, that's probably a stupid question to ask, as I imagine the answer is as soon as possible. He said to the contrary. He said please take your time, and explore the data, and understand the data as much as you can. Wow – I like this, so different to the way of working that I'm used to, everything is usually needed 5mins ago! I could get to like this...alot!
At a meeting with my Global Network Colleagues

I went along to the IU house (a hostel where students from Indiana university stay) to see if the office could tell me about any trips being organised, in the hope that I might be able to make some friends. Unfortunately, the office explained that they no longer get involved with trips, and the students organise them now. Hmmm, left the office feeling a bit down, as there would be no way I could just turn up, not knowing anyone. I bumped into my Swahili teacher, and he was able to do an earlier than scheduled lesson. On my return home, I bumped into Sam (one of Mira's friends)..how lucky! She leaves tomorrow, and was just going to the IU house to return a modem. I went along with her, and she introduced me to the current students, and invited me back to make chapati's later.  
After watching Rhythm city (an African soap opera! I'm totally hooked!) I walked back to the IU house. I had to do the walk in the dark with my head torch. Although it's a short walk, I don't feel all that safe as there are no pavements, just a mud track with the road on the right, and bushes on the left. The cooks from the IU house were there, making chapatis, but I think I might have to stick to the frozen ones for now, as I've no idea of the quantities, they just seemed to throw the flour in, and mix in the water, oil and salt. Anyhow, there is a trip on the 3rd September to Lake Baringo, which I'd really like to go on, so I've signed up for that. We played cards, then I thought I'd better head back, as I had to do the walk back on my own again. The security guard even asked about my safety (they all have guns here, which is also a bit disconcerting.) Anyhow, I made it safely back. I think next time, I'll take a taxi down (even though it's such a short distance), as I didn’t feel safe, and I know I'm breaking all the rules in the PULSE handbook!

No comments:

Post a Comment