Tuesday 2 August 2011

The Imani Workshop

Wow – can't believe I've done a month here now! Trying to figure out what I'm supposed to be analysing for this Global Network paper on Community Mobilisation in preparation for the meeting later. I mentioned to the team that I thought the early meetings from 7am – 9am were not working, and they have changed the time to 5pm-7pm...hmm – is this later time going to work though. I don't understand why they are being organised for outside working hours? Again, I was the only one to turn up tonight. I texted the chair, who gave his apologies, but said that the meeting should still happen. Hmmm – if it was happening, it was happening with only me attending by the looks of things!

On my lunch break on Wednesday, my colleagues took me to the Imani workshop. They have beautiful jewellery and crafts there. It's all in aid of AMPATH (Academic Model Providing Access to Healthcare). AMPATH cares for more than 100,000 HIV infected adults and children with nearly one half of all patients on anti-retroviral drugs, and enrollment into the program rising by 2,000 patients per month. A robust program to prevent mother to child transmission of HIV has been initiated, and some of the patients work on the crafts and jewellery themselves. I bought some jewellery, and wood carvings. The jewellery is brightly coloured and pretty, and some of it is made from clay, and some of it from paper. It's great because you can design your own bag, and they will stitch it up for you too.
Here are some of the crafts:



No comments:

Post a Comment