Sunday 17 July 2011

Sosiani Power Plant and Umbrella Falls

Went to Sosiani to see the power plant, and the big waterfalls there (Umbrella Falls). We did some hiking, but unfortunately, weren't able to go under the waterfalls, as it was too wet and slippery.
Hiking up to the Falls


Saw a black snake (a black mamba) in the water. It was difficult to see the length of it, as we just caught a glimpse.
The Black Mamba
Umbrella Falls
Our guide went back to kill it. We saw the guides' bean batch too...wow! I've never seen such a huge selection of different types of beans. Was pretty cool! I wish I could tell you all of them, but he only knew the names in Swahili. 
Bean Pod


When we got back to Eldoret, we saw the cheese factory on Kenyatta Street (Doinyo Lessos Creameries Cheese Factory) which was interesting. From reading the Lonely Planet Guide, I was expecting a huge factory, and a guided tour. However, when we showed up, the factory was at the end of a dirt track. We couldn't see inside the factory, all we got to experience was a lady sitting behind bars, selling different cheeses. It was still worth it, the cheese was yum! The rain came on whilst we were out, so nipped into café delicious for ndazi's and tea!
I've inserted a map, so you can see where Eldoret is in relation to Kisumu and Nairobi.



After my second week at work, I'm still feeling a little out of my depth - I've been calling on help from back home, emailing colleagues for advice, and using my old university notes for help with sample size calculations! I've even got a survival analysis to look at. I haven't looked at survival analysis since we had the graduate workshops back in 2005...eek!
I am told it is no bother and that it is perfectly normal to call for advice or just to share ideas. It’s something I must come to learn. To get things right, or as right as they can be, is important and sharing ideas is the best way to do so, so I’m told.

The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own. ~ Benny Disraeli
I'm also a little concerned that I'm not meeting my primary goal of the PULSE assignment, which is to create a sustainable change that can be carried on indefinitely once I am gone. I have been helping students with their sample sizes and analysis sections of their papers, and assisting with the transfer of word documents into excel format, and with the analysis for a paper on community mobilisation, but how can I make a sustainable difference?If I were to come back in 6months time, how would I notice the difference?


No comments:

Post a Comment