Saturday 16 July 2011

Sally Test Paediatric Centre

This morning, I went to Sally Test Pediatric centre to help out. It's a care centre for abandoned and sick children, with various conditions, such as severe burns, head injuries, or HIV/AIDS. The children come here to learn, play games, and interact with other children of similar ages. Through their achievements, they gain confidence, self-esteem and build their own inner strength. It helps children forget their illness and learn to have fun.

It's helping with my Swahili, as I read Jack and the Bean Stalk to the kids, and Michael the teacher translated! I felt a bit of a communication barrier with the children, as my Swahili isn't up to scratch. I'm hoping after a few more weeks, I'll find communication easier with them! I wonder what they make of this far off land I come from where there are giants and idiots selling cows for beans?

Met Mira and Mike in town (at Wills Pub). I was excited, because it advertised a beer garden on the outside. Mira was skeptical, and her skepticism proved right. They had created an indoor beer garden, with a concrete wall, and imitation lighting to create a “fake” beer garden. Tried masala chips for the first time...I'm an addict now! I'm glad Mira and Mike are here, as it's keeping me distracted, and keeping my thoughts away from what's happening back at home!
Myself and Mira decided we'd go on a trip to Umbrella Falls tomorrow. Mike's off to Kisumu.

4 comments:

  1. I'd like to enquire about something that came to my notice regarding your reading material, and that I have been pondering upon. Can you inform any esteemed members of the blogosphere listening in how a story about someone swapping beans for a cow and giants with a hen laying golden eggs was received by the African Children? Does it not concern you that perhaps this is an everlasting image that they will have of the far off land that you originate from? I trust you added a disclaimer at the end of your reading to suggest that it is simply an oral legend that many believe arrived in England with the Vikings and hence the lunacy originates in Scandinavia?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I recall correctly, their response to the story was that Jack's mother did the right thing by throwing the beans out of the window when Jack came back to explain that he'd sold the cow for beans. A cow is worth much more than a handful of beans!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I trust you corrected them. A cow is in no way near as valuable as gold these days, your money is always safe in gold. Shame Gordon Brown didn't note this.

    And another thing in no way did that mad mother woman do the right thing, she could have brought death and destruction upon her household with her thoughtless act, imho Giants can be quite dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ..but all it ended happily ever after didn't it?

    ReplyDelete