Monday 18 July 2011

Struggling a little today...

Today has been the hardest day since I’ve arrived, in terms of, dare I mention the 8 letter word beginning with h and ending in k.  I keep trying not to admit it, or let it grab hold of me, but I’m really missing home today. The internet has been down all day, which has been frustrating and I’m feeling so distant from everyone back home. It seems like so much is going on in their lives, that I’m not able to take part in or share. I keep telling myself I need to embrace my experience here, let it take hold of me, and loose myself in the culture and activities, but as much as I’m trying, today I can’t stop thinking about home.

My phone reception isn’t that great either, and haven’t heard from my boyfriend in days….it turned out retrospectively his messages weren’t getting through, so I think before I explode about something, I should make sure my facts are right :) Anyways, when I got to chat, it all became clear, and felt better about everything. I really must stop being a moody cow!

When I went out on my lunch break, one of the patients collapsed on the hospital stairs. The ladies behind me said “It’s no wonder these ladies collapse. Having just given birth, and having to climb up all these stairs.” It's a frequent occurrence to see blood on the stairs, or at the entrance to the Mother and Baby hospital. You just hope that these ladies are ok, as you never find out what happens. A boy grabbed my arm in the street, wanting to sell me something., and shouted something in Swahili, which I couldn’t understand. The woman behind me laughed, and that almost sent me off into tears feeling the communication barrier…it’s just a bad bad day!

Work’s so hard too, I’m struggling to see what the overall objective of a certain paper is, which is making it difficult to work on the sample size calculation, or even think about a data analysis section. Another student is trying to achieve so much in her study, and has about 10 objectives, so much so, that I’m finding it hard to focus….HELP! I texted Mira asking if she was about for a chat tonight! I warned her it might be more of a moan! She texted back saying the kettle was on already..wow, she’s a life saver. Not sure what I would’ve done without her to chat to!?  

No comments:

Post a Comment