Sunday 10 July 2011

The end of my first week...

This is my walk to work

When it's been raining, you can get pretty muddy!
The drive leading up to my work


This is the Riley Mother and Baby Hospital, where I work

Over a week since arriving and I've done my first week at the Moi University, attended a peer review for the MSc medical students discussing thesis proposals. Helped a student with defining their null and alternative hypothesis, and the use of 1 or 2-sided tests in his proposal looking at electrolytes in babies with gastroenteritis. Met with my Global Network colleagues to discuss possible research proposals and papers. This is one of the main objectives of my trip; to improve the data management skills of the researchers of the Global Network that will aid them in publishing research papers. If I can play a role in that whilst improving my consultancy skills then it will be all worthwhile. If I can hone my skills in various other ways to give up the day job then all the better ;)
Random trainers next door


 






How am I feeling...I guess a bit nervous, and a bit worried that I might be out of my depth here. I've been asked to convert some word questionnaires (pre and post training) into SAS datasets, and I don't know where to start. There's too many of them to data entry myself...I gotta call on alternative resources..i.e. My big bro with his IT expertise! I guess this is the secret to surviving it in an unfamiliar setting, knowing where ones limitations lie and using (and knowing when to call on) those with additional knowledge. 
 
Mira, my house mate's back from her Masai Mara trip. We all go out to Sheikh Union for a yummy Indian meal. Mira's trip sounds amazing. This is somewhere I'd like to visit if I get the chance. Sadly she didn't see any duma (cheetah's) though. I laughed so much tonight I ended up in tears...I really like these guys, they're a good laugh! Sadly, they're research will come to an end mid-August, and they'll be leaving soon. Already, I don't want them to go, I'm getting on with them so well.
Mike and Mira in our back garden

I'm finding communication with family and friends back home a struggle. It doesn't help that I'm not the best on the phone! Sometimes the internet connection is a bit ropey, and keeps booting me out of Skype, and when I try and call I can't talk for longer than 3mins without being cut off because I've drained all my credit. I'm learning to be patient, and got to remind myself I'm in Africa! Mustn’t worry so much, maybe that’s a lesson I will profit from during my stay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment