Friday 14 October 2011

A new Kitengue, and braids that don't happen

Walked in with Tess this morning, and arranged to meet at 5.30pm by the blue billboards along from the Mother and Baby hospital, as she’s getting her hair braided tonight – exciting! Jane* called me at lunchtime to say she had some Nigerian material for me, so I went along to have a look. She’s constructing a shop in town (focusing on Nutrition, a bit like a Holland and Barretts shop back home), so I went to see how it is all progressing. I bought a couple of Kitingue’s. One for myself, and the other for my mum. KSH 6000  it cost (42 GBP), which I thought was a little expensive, but she said it was because it was Nigerian, and the colour doesn’t run. Hmmm – lets see.

Went to Margaret, the dressmakers in town, and asked her to design me an African dress. We got a free lunch in the office today, as they are holding interviews....my favourite... chapati's! I shall never get bored of them! As I left the hospital today, two pharmacy students from Nairobi approached me, and started chatting about Eldoret. They were talking about healthcare in Kenya, and how it costs 15,000 KS (100 GBP) to have a Caesarian Section here. If people can’t afford, then the social worker gets involved. JJ and Tess arrived at that point. The hairdresser, believe it or not, didn’t have the hair extensions that they’d promised to find (we weren't surprised, although JJ was saying how when they'd been in last week, they were very convincing, and seemed to understand what they were asking for, and would definitely have the braids ready for them today!), so we went out looking for suitable extensions. In the hair extensions shop, they had some interesting looking lotions and potions, including breast enlarging creams! JJ and I were intrigued to how it works!? They were also playing some Kukuya music, which I liked, so I got the bands name from the shop owner, and would try and find it in town.

It looks like we won’t get Tess’s hair extensions tonight, but the hairdresser was hopeful she’d find them in town tomorrow. We were supposed to be meeting Jesse at the hairdressers, to have dinner with him, but we had no means of contacting him, as he’s lost his phone. Speaking of phones, the girls told me they’d bought a mobile over here, thinking it was a NOKIA make, anyhow, it turns out the shop owner had stuck a sticker over the make, and it’s actually a cheap phone, and they’ve been having problems with it ever since! So we wait outside the arcade, and Jesse shows up about ½ hour afterwards. Had dinner out at Mama Mias restaurant. It was a nice evening.

*I've changed the name in this posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment