Sunday 16 October 2011

The lobster look and a trip to Sally Test

Myself and Tess went up to Poa place for a swim. It was really hot today, and we’d both forgotten our Sun Protection, which was a mistake, as we both ended up looking like lobsters.

Met with Taxi Max who took us through the details of our trip to Masai Mara. I’m excited. Sadly, he won’t be our driver though, as he has another group going at the same time. I went to Sally Test Centre afterwards, and took along Frank and Caroline’s donation of clothes, and mum’s donation of stationary. They dressed Charlotte* in the trousers and strippy top straight away, and she ran off to show the others – it was great to see her enthusiasm for her new outfit. 

Patricia, one of the care workers kept saying “Look Charlotte, somebody loves you”. She held me and kissed me on the cheek. They were so grateful for the clothes, and spent some time looking through everything. So thanks so much to Frank and Caroline for your generous donation of clothes, and to my mum for the stationary!

I spent the afternoon with the toddlers. 
 






 
One of the girls kept grabbing at my camera, as she was so excited to get her picture taken. I chatted to Ben, one of the care workers at the end. We were talking about politics. He was saying how he was positive that the elections in 2012 would bring about change in Kenya, and help break the poverty cycle. He asked if we had poverty back in the UK, so I explained how poverty existed back home, but on a different level. The unemployed get help from the state, unlike here, and how we have the NHS, which doesn’t exist in Kenya. If people can’t afford an operation, they will involve a social worker. It was a really interesting chat.

Tess and JJ arrived back home from the orphanage, which sounded like quite an emotional experience for them. JJ’s going to take a volleyball for them tomorrow, as they were playing volleyball with a football. I disappeared to my room as shattered and needed to work on slides for statistical training tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. This is a comment about something you wrote on one of your posts but I cannot find it now.

    I’d like to investigate this plug hole Coriolis effect thingy you mentioned and as described by Gaspard-Gustave in the late 19th century following Laplace’s earlier work? Whilst I fully accept the north/south hemisphere trends I wonder if the weak forces associated with earth’s rotation can be offset by the wiggling round and round of the hand effect. So I believe Kenya is both north and south of the equator and is perfect for my planned investigation which I beseech you to participate in as I cannot do it all on my own from London, I compel you in fact, it will be fun I promise.

    Fill the sink up, first noting if you are north or south of 0 degrees latitude. Infact the order is not important and you could note your whereabouts after filling the sink if that is more convenient. Allow the water to settle from its speedy entry into the sink, applying the plug will help retain the fluid but I’m sure you will work that out. The water is settled completely after a few minutes and there are no remaining forces acting within, I’m sure if there are still any they must be negligible to the result. Then you need to do one of three things call them A B C and gently release the plug. There is no potential for carryover so any order of A B C will do, so you’re going to have to repeat this thing three times, unless you think replication will help. A is first and that is to do nothing before releasing the plug, watch the vortex develop towards the almost empty point of the sink and observe the direction of the rotation. B involves putting ones hand into the replenished sink contents and rotate clockwise until the water is so flowing, pull the plug and observe the direction of the vortex once again. Finally C and replace the action of the hand by a counter clockwise motion. That’s the easy bit. Now jump on a train, boat or plane and travel the other side of the equator and repeat, I’m sure in the interest of scientific endeavour and furtherance of knowledge someone will allow access to their sink in this hitherto unknown destination. Write up the results on your blog.

    What this shows is not clear to me as my thoughts are random and the whole experiment may be ill conceived. But playing in water and pretending to be smart are fab don’t you think? Also sharing sinks in far off places is the way forward.

    ReplyDelete